Now that the holidays are in full swing, many will be traveling, whether to visit friends, family, or to simply take a break from routine. Depending on where you are headed, you may encounter hazardous, wintry weather, so it is crucial to be prepared and take certain safety precautions to avoid a terrible accident.
Travel Safely This Holiday Season
One of the first things you should do before hitting the road is have your car inspected or serviced. Car troubles are among the most common problems for holiday travelers. The last thing you want is to end up stuck on the side of the road or involved in a serious accident because your car was not properly maintained. It would also be wise to pack an emergency kit for your car, which should include a flashlight, carjack, jumper cables, water, and a first aid kit.
Here are some additional holiday travel tips:
- Understand how to drive on icy or wet roads: California is not exactly known for its cold weather, but that does not mean road conditions are always perfect. Give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination, so you can avoid being in a rush.
- Be prepared: When planning a long drive, it is important to account for all types of scenarios. There may be a road closure, construction, or bumper-to-bumper traffic and knowing alternate routes will help get you out of any of these sticky situations. You do not have to know them by heart, of course, but having an idea of them will make you less reliant on your GPS, which will make you a less distracted driver.
- Take a break: Making frequent rest stops will help keep you alert while on the road. Even if you just take 5 minutes to stretch your legs, it will do wonders for your energy levels.
- Always keep a phone charger in your car: In case you do not already have a phone charger in your car, be sure to get one before going on a trip.
- Let someone close to you know your trip’s itinerary: Before you head out for your trip, let someone close to you know where you are going and how best to reach you in case of an emergency.
Schedule a Consultation with an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney Today!
The holidays can be a dangerous time to travel. If you were injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s reckless actions, the legal team at Omega Law Group Injury & Accident Attorneys can help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Call our law office today at (310) 504-1852 to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys to get started.