Commercial vs. Non Commercial Driver’s License

hand holding steering wheel

In California, people have to acquire different types of licenses depending on their driving needs. If they’re not getting compensated for driving, all they need is a non commercial driver’s license (non-CDL). People who have non-CDLs only drive their car to get from point A to point B. They’re not allowed to drive with pay. If such a need or desire arises, they would need a commercial driver’s license (CDL) for that in California.

But there’s so much more to it. Depending on your driving needs, figuring out the type of license you need and how to get it could turn into an overwhelming task. The personal injury lawyers at Omega Law Group in Los Angeles are here to help you out.

3 Types of Non Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in California

For those who are only looking to acquire a license purely for transportation and driving purposes (without pay,) a non CDL is for you! There are 3 classes of non commercial driver’s license:

  • Non CDL Class C: The most basic driver’s license beholden to the most restrictions in the non CDL family. You can drive vans carrying less than 15 people and housecar (ie: RVs, trailer) as long as it’s not longer than 40 feet.

  • Non CDL Class B: You may drive an RV as long as 45 feet under the condition that you get the proper endorsements from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

  • Non CDL Class A: You may drive an RV longer than 45 feet with no DMV endorsement.

3 Types of Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in California

If your employer wants you to drive for business purposes, then you’re going to need a CDL. A CDL gives you driving privileges that the average driver doesn't have access to. You will need to acquire specialized skills in order to get a California CDL along with certain DMV endorsements.

  • CDL Class C: You may drive any class C vehicles, but you may need to acquire additional endorsements depending on what you’re trying to transport.

    • H Endorsements: Hazardous Materials

    • P Endorsements: Passengers

  • CDL Class B: You may drive a vehicle heavier than 26,000 lbs.

  • CDL Class A: You may drive a combination of vehicles heavier than 26,001 lbs. You’re also able to tow a vehicle that’s more than 10,000 lbs.

Call Omega Law Group

Our awards and excellent testimonials are a result of our ability to empathize and attend to the needs of our clients. Here at Omega Law Group, you will come first. If you or a loved one is afflicted with an accident, reach out to our team. Visit our Contact Us page or call us at (310) 504-1852.